CIS is different. Solar Frontier has worked with leading solar panel technologies since the 1970s, including crystalline silicon. We realized in the early 1990s the unique potential of CIS - and we’ve pursued it ever since.
CIS stands for key ingredients copper, indium and selenium. But like other CIS manufacturers, we also include the elements gallium and sulfur in the semiconductor layer. That’s why our technology is sometimes called CIGS.
In the solar panel industry, CIS is known for its economical, ecological advantages.
Your system needs to perform well now and continue to do so in the long term. Quality is the key. Solar Frontier offers quality assurance through production, module technology and third-party verification.
Production & Product:
- Made in Japan
- Solar Frontier’s factories, located in Japan, include one of the largest PV production plants in the world. Highly automated processes and precision-engineering ensure maximum quality and minimum risk.
- Quality Control
- All Solar Frontier process control and product control measurements are based on procedures specified by ISO, using an automatic checking and recording system.
- Product Strength
- Solar Frontier modules are aluminum-framed and have a robust glass-glass-backsheet structure. This helps ensure lifetime reliability. They are also certified for harsh conditions.
- PID Resistance
- Potential Induced Degradation (PID) causes power degradation. This is caused by excess electrical charge triggering a “break down” where the shunt resistance and open circuit voltage are dramatically reduced.
- CIS is PID-free.
- No Microcracks
- Crystalline silicon modules are susceptible to microcracks because of their fragile cell material. Fragile cells are subject to cracking due to micro-vibrations, some caused by wind.
- CIS is not affected by microcracks. It is a thin-film technology, and therefore more “flexible”.
- Low Solder Joint Risk
- Low quality solder joints impact power output and are a fire hazard.
- Crystalline silicon modules have about 300 solder joints , often connected by hand. Each could be a risk point.
- CIS has 4 solder joints connected by robots. This significantly decreases risk.
Solar Frontier’s CIS modules have met or surpassed the most exacting tests and standards set for solar panels by inspection agencies worldwide.
Where to next?